QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

micky

Jan 20, 2022, 11:26:57 PM1/20/22
I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage, all it gave me
was mamy, mamy rows of nothing but numbers.

I think it was supposed to go the webpage with my vaccination record.
But regardless, what does it mean if I only get numbers

VanguardLH

Jan 21, 2022, 12:22:39 AM1/21/22
That a URL has human recognizable strings is only way to write a URL.
It could also be a series of digits.

Not all scan codes are URLs. They're just data content of which it
could be strings, like a bunch of numbers. It could product relative
information, like the SKU number for a product. It could be a tracking
code for a product.

https://cs.trains.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-07-48/1488.DSC_5F00_8236.jpg
You think whoever built the train car is giving you the URL string to
their web site? It's a means of tracking the cars.

As is typical of you, you don't provide details. Identify WHERE you
found the scan code. Else, you got the content that the scan code
contained, and no one can say different because you don't let anyone
else see the scan code pattern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code

The content of a QR code is whatever the author wants to encode in it.

Ralph Fox

Jan 21, 2022, 3:43:27 AM1/21/22
Ask whoever issued you the QR code and your vaccination record.

Maybe what you are seeing is your vaccination record itself plus a
digital signature to avoid forgeries. If so, the rows of numbers
could be part of the digital signature.

> Subject: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

QR codes are not only for webpage URLs. QR codes can be for other things.

Try scanning the QR code below and see...

QR code at: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_qr-code-for-micky--ncdkugdt.png>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Andy Burns

Jan 21, 2022, 4:11:52 AM1/21/22
micky wrote:

> I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage, all it gave me
> was mamy, mamy rows of nothing but numbers.
> I think it was supposed to go the webpage with my vaccination record.
I don't know anything about American covid QR codes, but the UK ones don't
direct you to a webpage. There is an official app for decoding them, which
shows your name, DoB and the expiry time.

R.Wieser

Jan 21, 2022, 5:16:17 AM1/21/22
micky,

> But regardless, what does it mean if I only get numbers

In my country that QR code is nothing more than something comparable to an
SSL certificate. From it you can extract some personal data (enough to
verify the person), and *if need be* verify that the certificate was
provided by the correct authority.

>I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage,

That is exactly what its *NOT* supposed to do. /Any suggestion/ that
scanning such a QR code (person X was at location Y, time Z) could be
tatteled off to some mothership would instantly cause a ruckus (tracking
related), diminishing its intended use.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

AJL

Jan 21, 2022, 9:07:13 AM1/21/22
On 1/21/2022 2:11 AM, Andy Burns wrote:

> I don't know anything about American covid QR codes, but the UK ones
> don't direct you to a webpage.

My local Applebee restaurant (USA) only gives physical menus on request.
Normally when you are seated you just point your phone at the QR code
posted on the table and read the menu on their website which
should automatically pop up on the phone. Works on both mine and the
wife's Android and iPhone. I believe it was developed for less covid
menu contact. That way they don't have to pretend they sanitize the
menus between customers...

Ken Blake

Jan 21, 2022, 1:05:18 PM1/21/22
Many restaurants I go to have a stack of xeroxed menus. The one you
get is thrown away after you use it.

I've never been to an Applebees, and have no plans of ever going to
one. That sort of place isn't my cup of tea, but if it were, your post
would turn me off. I want a physical menu, and I should not have to
ask for one.

sms

Jan 21, 2022, 1:50:42 PM1/21/22
On 1/21/2022 10:05 AM, Ken Blake wrote:

<snip>

> Many restaurants I go to have a stack of xeroxed menus. The one you
> get is thrown away after you use it.
>
> I've never been to an Applebees, and have no plans of ever going to
> one. That sort of place isn't my cup of tea, but if it were, your post
> would turn me off. I want a physical menu, and I should not have to
> ask for one.

What? Are you Un-American? Eating at Olive Garbage, Dread Lobster, and
Crapplebee's is what true Americans do. You can even go to the world's
first combination IHOP Applebee's
<https://detroit.eater.com/2018/6/26/17505738/ihop-applebees-hybrid-worlds-first-open-all-day-detroit>.

Most restaurants in my ares will provide a physical menu, on request,
when they normally only have digital menus.

Please use "photocopied" instead of "xeroxed."

Anyway, I think that the vaccination QR codes are for use by specific
apps. A restaurant will have the app to scan the vaccination QR code,
and before Apple had the capability to add digital vaccination records
(iOS 15.1) directly to your digital wallet there was an app that could
scan it and add it do your digital wallet.

Ken Blake

Jan 21, 2022, 2:16:12 PM1/21/22
On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:50:41 -0800, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 1/21/2022 10:05 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> Many restaurants I go to have a stack of xeroxed menus. The one you
>> get is thrown away after you use it.
>>
>> I've never been to an Applebees, and have no plans of ever going to
>> one. That sort of place isn't my cup of tea, but if it were, your post
>> would turn me off. I want a physical menu, and I should not have to
>> ask for one.
>
>What? Are you Un-American? Eating at Olive Garbage, Dread Lobster, and
>Crapplebee's is what true Americans do.

I ate at an Olive Garden once. I hated it.

I might be misremembering, but I think I also ate at a Red Lobster
once. It wasn't as bad as Olive Garden, but I barely tolerated it. I
never want to go back.

>You can even go to the world's
>first combination IHOP Applebee's
><https://detroit.eater.com/2018/6/26/17505738/ihop-applebees-hybrid-worlds-first-open-all-day-detroit>.
>
>Most restaurants in my ares will provide a physical menu, on request,
>when they normally only have digital menus.
>
>Please use "photocopied" instead of "xeroxed."

You probably also don't want me to wipe my nose with Kleenex or play
ping pong.

Ken Blake

Jan 21, 2022, 2:19:30 PM1/21/22
On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:16:13 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
wrote:
...or use Scotch Tape (and lots of others whose names don't come to
mind).

sms

Jan 21, 2022, 6:21:39 PM1/21/22
On 1/21/2022 11:16 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:50:41 -0800, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
> wrote:

<snip>

>> Please use "photocopied" instead of "xeroxed."
>

> You probably also don't want me to wipe my nose with Kleenex or play
> ping pong.

I used to work for a division of Xerox. We were told not to call
photocopiers "Xerox Machines."

Mayayana

Jan 21, 2022, 7:25:02 PM1/21/22
"Ken Blake" <K...@invalid.news.com> wrote

> I ate at an Olive Garden once. I hated it.

You must have *really* hated it. Usually you preface
your opinions by saying people have a right to their own
opinion. :)

I've never been inside any of those restaurants.

sms

Jan 21, 2022, 7:52:11 PM1/21/22
I ate at an Applebee's maybe 15 years ago, off of I-80 on the way back
from Lake Tahoe. My sister-in-law ordered some pasta dish and asked them
to leave out one ingredient. The waitress helpfully explained that that
wasn't possible because the pasta entree came frozen in a plastic bag
and the restaurant simply boiled the food, in the bag, then put it on a
plate. Not an uncommon procedure at places like that (Denny's,
Applebee's, etc.).

You might be okay ordering a hamburger at a place like Applebee's since
they have to actually grill it. But I've not been back.

VanguardLH

Jan 22, 2022, 2:04:52 AM1/22/22
I've been to Olive Garden when my step-mom had a birthday party for my
Dad there. I've been there before, but nothing special for me to
remember. My "taste" there is their salads are great, but their meals
are bland: it's either red sauce on some pasta (having different shapes
doesn't make it different pasta), or white sauce on the same pasta. So,
you can order pasta+red, or pasta+white. I thought their salads were
excellent. Back then, you couldn't order just the all-you-can-eat
salad, so I bought some soup, too, but mostly focused on the salad. I
think they added a menu item for an endless salad you can buy
separately, but it was priced like a full meal. With them now only
having ordering online for take out (in my area) because of Covid19,
obviously you cannot get their all-you-can-eat or endless salads,
anymore.

I'm not saying their food is good or bad. I didn't hate their food, but
didn't love it, either. I'm not into pasta meals, especially when the
only choice is the same pasta but with either red or white sauce. Been
a long time since I've been to an Olive Garden, but don't recall
anything but their salad appealing to me. I'm also not into eating
water bugs, so Red Lobster has no appeal to me, either. The only item I
remember liking at Red Lobster were their cheddar biscuits, but I can
make those at home.

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 4:14:04 AM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 21 Jan 2022 07:07:11 -0700, AJL
<noe...@none.com> wrote:

>On 1/21/2022 2:11 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I don't know anything about American covid QR codes, but the UK ones
>> don't direct you to a webpage.
>
>My local Applebee restaurant (USA) only gives physical menus on request.
>Normally when you are seated you just point your phone at the QR code
>posted on the table and read the menu on their website which
>should automatically pop up on the phone.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I meant, and that I expected. I expected
this QR code would be used at airports, etc. to prove someone was
vaccinated, and a bunch of numbers doesn't do that. But I'lll track down
that page again. I can't imagine where else I print ed a QR quote fr om
but I want to make sure it was really the vaccination records webiste.

> Works on both mine and the
>wife's Android and iPhone. I believe it was developed for less covid
>menu contact. That way they don't have to pretend they sanitize the
>menus between customers...

LOL

When I was in Central America in 1971, I would go to thhe cheapest
restaurant where a full meal was 50 cents and the menus were
mimeographed, the stuff that printed in blue, came out wet, and smelled
unual. And was the cheapest kind of printing and their menus often haad
food stains on them, and still, the waiter would take away the menu the
moment I ordered, so I coudln't consider desert and so I couldn't learn
Spanish. Well, when I asked to keep it, they all let me, but here in
the US too and before Corona, they are always taking away the menu so I
can't check what I should have orddered or what there is for desert.

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 5:25:10 AM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:24:28 -0500, "Mayayana"
I've been to Olive Garden once. I used to live in Brooklyn, and my
friend who lived in NY all his life and moved to NYC, with all its great
restaurants, was down here to testify in court in Beltsville for his law
firm, and I wanted to taake him to a nice place, but also one that was
convenient.

It was just off I-95 between Beltsville (DC) and Baltimore. It was so,
well, lower middle income. I guess this is one of the few times
advertising got hold of me. It was mostly the ambience iirc. I wanted
to give him a treat.

a) my friend didn't complain, and maybe was okay with it. Maybe he
thought I was poor.
b) I don't know where we woudl have gone instead that was not harder to
get to.

We also went trap shooting before dinner, near Beltsviile. I think that
was a treat for him.

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 5:27:37 AM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:50:41 -0800, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>Anyway, I think that the vaccination QR codes are for use by specific
>apps.

I think you got it right. But I can't find which app would do it? If
restaurants can have one, it shoudln't be hard to get.

Although it's still not that easy. When I look at all the QR code
readers in t he app store, none mention Covid in the search page.

When I add Covid to the search terms, I get loads of apps for that, but
none mention QR in their titles.

So I searched for "qr code scanner covid airport" and I'm busy reading
that now**.

FWIW, I foudn the url and went back to the page that offered me a QR
code and this is what it says. It starts to be helpful but doesn't go
into enough detail. For example, if you're right, it doesn't say so.
it doesn't say what you need to read it and get back to this very page.

COVID-19 Vaccination
The QR Code below contains information related to your vaccination
status. Use and sharing of data through the QR Code below is done at the
sole risk of the user. This QR code will expire on 2/16/2022. You will
need to log back in on 2/17/2022 to get your new QR code from your
participating state. For more information on the data contained in this
QR Code, please click on the link.

[Elswhere something explains tha they will ALL expire on that date, and
it's not clear what will replace it. You have to try again to see if
your state, one of 7 or 8 enrolled now is enrolled after that date, and
you probably have to print another code (My currently scheduled flight
is before this date, but I might have to change it.)

> A restaurant will have the app to scan the vaccination QR code,
>and before Apple had the capability to add digital vaccination records
>(iOS 15.1) directly to your digital wallet there was an app that could
>scan it and add it do your digital wallet.

**The firxt hit was an urgent care center in La Jolla!

QR Code on COVID-19 Test Posted on June 22, 2021 by Dr. Peter Mann

If you need a QR Code on your COVID-19 test for travel, give us a call
today! (858) 255-8325 [So you have to call them!]

? Our QR codes comply with international standards
? QR codes link to testing and medical certificates
? rt-PCR, rapid, and antigen testing available
? rt-PCR results with certificate and QR code returned in as little as
24 hours
? Results are always signed and stamped by a licensed physician

Ralph Fox

Jan 22, 2022, 5:28:38 AM1/22/22

On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 04:14:02 -0500, micky wrote:

> Yeah, that's the sort of thing I meant, and that I expected. I expected
> this QR code would be used at airports, etc. to prove someone was
> vaccinated, and a bunch of numbers doesn't do that. But I'lll track down
> that page again. I can't imagine where else I print ed a QR quote fr om
> but I want to make sure it was really the vaccination records webiste.

You did not say *what* you scanned it with.

Here in NZ, we would use the official NZ pass verifier app to scan
my NZ vaccine pass QR code and prove I was vaccinated.

* The verifier app will verify that the vaccine pass was provided
by the correct authority and can extract some personal data
from the QR code (enough to check the vaccine pass is for me
and not for someone else).

* Scanning my NZ vaccine pass QR code will *not* send you off to a
website. Here, you would not have the opportunity to fake it with
your own QR code pointing to your fake "micky is vaccinated" web
page.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 5:28:43 AM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:22:37 -0600, VanguardLH
<V...@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage, all it gave me
>> was mamy, mamy rows of nothing but numbers.
>>
>> I think it was supposed to go the webpage with my vaccination record.
>> But regardless, what does it mean if I only get numbers
>
>That a URL has human recognizable strings is only way to write a URL.
>It could also be a series of digits.
>
>Not all scan codes are URLs. They're just data content of which it
>could be strings, like a bunch of numbers. It could product relative
>information, like the SKU number for a product. It could be a tracking
>code for a product.
>
>https://cs.trains.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-07-48/1488.DSC_5F00_8236.jpg
>You think whoever built the train car is giving you the URL string to
>their web site? It's a means of tracking the cars.
>
>As is typical of you, you don't provide details.

Because I'm not interested in solving a particular problem. I just want
to know how these things work in general.

> Identify WHERE you
>found the scan code.

If I knew it off hand, I still might have included it, but then I'd have
to give you my password for my own medical records. I trust you but not
the thousands of lurkers here. The QR code is onlyi for each person 7
or 8 states that use this service to report vaccinations (not just
Corona. They say I'm 9 years late for my pneumonia shot and 55 years
past due for my DTaP/DT/Td shot. But they have the Corona shots
correct and that should be enough to make people happy.

But I scanned it again and got nothing but numbers agai, but way down at
the bottom was a button called Open.

I taked that and got Sorry, the requested application coudl not be
launced. The barcoade may be invalid.

So I found the webpage, printed it again, it looks just like the first
copy and like what's on the screen, and I scanned it again with a
different phone and the scanner is the QR & Barcode Scanner by Gamma
Play. The other phone is not here right now.

Continued in another post.

Chris Green

Jan 22, 2022, 5:33:04 AM1/22/22
Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> >Most restaurants in my ares will provide a physical menu, on request,
> >when they normally only have digital menus.
> >
> >Please use "photocopied" instead of "xeroxed."
>
> You probably also don't want me to wipe my nose with Kleenex or play
> ping pong.

Careful, you're being very USA-centred (notice the spelling!), while
we do call table tennis 'ping pong' sometimes we would only use
'Kleenex' if we mean that actual brand, it's a tissue otherwise.

--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green

Jan 22, 2022, 5:33:04 AM1/22/22

> ...or use Scotch Tape (and lots of others whose names don't come to
> mind).

Same applies (re: USA), it's Sellotape over here! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 5:38:00 AM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:20:53 +0000, Chris Green
<c...@isbd.net> wrote:

>> ...or use Scotch Tape (and lots of others whose names don't come to
>> mind).
>
>Same applies (re: USA), it's Sellotape over here! :-)

It's getting harder to find genuine cellophane tape in the US. They
invented mystic tape 40 years ago and now they keep selling vinyl tape,
which rips all the time, and is hard to take off in one piece.

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 5:43:13 AM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:19:58 +0000, Chris Green
The Kleenex competitors would be very happy with you.

Like Xerox I've always thought that the ones whose trademarks are
"infringed" really shouyld be happy about it. If the standard of the
world is tha tisuse is equivalent to Kleenex, that seems to me to
encourage to buy actual Kleenex.

AIUI the wholders of the trademark sue when it's infringed because they
don't want it to become the generic word, but it seems to me that that
is good for them.

BTW, I sojourned in law school for a while and took Patents and
Trademarks, but I wasn't good student and certainly didn't have nerve to
ask an inessential non-legal-skill-promoting question like the one
above.

Andy Burns

Jan 22, 2022, 5:45:41 AM1/22/22
micky wrote:

> sms wrote:
>
>> I think that the vaccination QR codes are for use by specific apps.
>
> I think you got it right. But I can't find which app would do it? If
> restaurants can have one, it shoudln't be hard to get.

What's the "official" name for your covid pass, vaccine passport, vaccine proof
or whatever it's called over there? Search for that plus keywords of validator,
QR and app ...

Ralph Fox

Jan 22, 2022, 6:02:16 AM1/22/22
On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 05:28:36 -0500, micky wrote:

> But I scanned it again and got nothing but numbers agai, but way down at
> the bottom was a button called Open.
>
> I taked that and got Sorry, the requested application coudl not be
> launced. The barcoade may be invalid.
>
> So I found the webpage, printed it again, it looks just like the first
> copy and like what's on the screen, and I scanned it again with a
> different phone and the scanner is the QR & Barcode Scanner by Gamma
> Play. The other phone is not here right now.

Your jurisdiction may have a special app for scanning your
vaccination QR code. Similar to these:

New York: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.ny.its.healthpassport.verify>

England: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.gov.dhsc.healthrecord>

Scotland: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scot.nhs.nes.covidpassverify>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 6:11:24 AM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 23:28:31 +1300, Ralph Fox
<-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:26:55 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage, all it gave me
>> was mamy, mamy rows of nothing but numbers.
>

>On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 04:14:02 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that's the sort of thing I meant, and that I expected. I expected
>> this QR code would be used at airports, etc. to prove someone was
>> vaccinated, and a bunch of numbers doesn't do that. But I'lll track down
>> that page again. I can't imagine where else I print ed a QR quote fr om
>> but I want to make sure it was really the vaccination records webiste.
>

>You did not say *what* you scanned it with.

I thought they were all the same, It's QR & Barcode Scanner by Gamma
Play

While there was a button, called Open, I think it already knew it would
be impossible to open it, because I think I've scanned other QR codes
that open automatically, like that restaurant menu.

And it starts off with SHC:/ so that's not any url I know.

All the rest of it is numberd from 0-9, no hexadecimal.

>Here in NZ, we would use the official NZ pass verifier app to scan
>my NZ vaccine pass QR code and prove I was vaccinated.

Aha. So I looked at that and it said good for my phone, so I'm
installing it but the green circle just spins around and around. I
might be a Kiwi out of the country planning to fly home, if that's the
problem, how do they know.

But Pass Verifier seems to be the secret, since searching the store for
QR or Covid gives loads of things that are not this.

Of course one says "for customers of Phyrem’s caché pass loyalty
system," so maybe NZ's won't work for me,

But at least I know it has to be a pass verifier and not just any qr
reader. So I presume this will work at the airport. Whether it's enough
for them, I don't know yet.

> * The verifier app will verify that the vaccine pass was provided
> by the correct authority and can extract some personal data
> from the QR code (enough to check the vaccine pass is for me
> and not for someone else).

Picky picky picky.

> * Scanning my NZ vaccine pass QR code will *not* send you off to a
> website. Here, you would not have the opportunity to fake it with
> your own QR code pointing to your fake "micky is vaccinated" web

I don't want to get kicked off the plane beforwe I get on the plane. I
came across an article about phoney covid tests:
https://www.internationalairportreview.com/news/150441/warning-serious-risk-air-travel-fake-covid-19-test/
Why not have fake QR codes and webpage to go with it.

> page.

Well, I could create my own QR code that that points to their very page,
myIRmobile.com , with which 7 US states and DC cooperate, but it would
insist on a userid and password, and then would give my name, and match
the piece of paper I'd be holding. Maybe they'll fill in the
uerid/password if I give it to them and settle for that.

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 6:54:00 AM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 06:11:21 -0500, micky
It did install eventually, but it says, not too surprisingly now, Nz
Passs Verifier is a free MOH app for businesses and organizations to
scan and verify thir cutomers' my faccine pass.

So it's not for me.

But it makes pretty clear that I'm doing this right. As I said
elswhere, maybe myirmoble is not accepted yet. Some of thei rdata is
wrong but the covid is right, and they must be getting it from "official
" sources. Maybe the airplane etc. will let me use my phone to bring up
their webpage. Or their own computer.

But I'll bring the printed QR code and the other printed stuff and the
little cardboard thing they give you in the US, and I'll smile, and
maybe they'll let me on the plane and into the country.

Micky

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 7:07:31 AM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 06:53:57 -0500, micky
<NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote:

>It did install eventually, but it says, not too surprisingly now, Nz
>Passs Verifier is a free MOH app for businesses and organizations to
>scan and verify thir cutomers' my faccine pass.
>
>So it's not for me.
>
>But it makes pretty clear that I'm doing this right. As I said
>elswhere, maybe myirmoble is not accepted yet. Some of thei rdata is
>wrong but the covid is right, and they must be getting it from "official
>" sources. Maybe the airplane etc. will let me use my phone to bring up
>their webpage. Or their own computer.
>
>But I'll bring the printed QR code and the other printed stuff and the
>little cardboard thing they give you in the US, and I'll smile, and
>maybe they'll let me on the plane and into the country.
>
>Micky

No one else here is interested in this but me, but I post it for
completeness and because it's a curiosity. What are they doing wrong
that they can't fix that others are not doing wrong:

"My QR code used to work but now it doesn't... It works on o=ther
validators,?" and he names 4 of them. Bindle, SB Project, CLEAR , and
Covid Immunity Project. So why can't people just use those validators.
What is so special about Common Trust network.?
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4314874848630744&id=1190707191047541&post_id=1190707191047541_4314874848630744

And that webpage is not obsolete, The QR codes are there, but the page
from 2 days ago was still saying there was a problem. I don't know what
happens on Feb 16, and they don't say.

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 7:44:35 AM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:45:36 +0000, Andy Burns
Aha, what a great idea. First hit is from myirmobile's own webpage,
but not something that was listed in their FAQ.

10/22/2021
Update on the MyIR Mobile QR Code As many of you are aware, STChealth
developed an accurate, well-formed, VCI standard SMART Health Card
within MyIR Mobile on behalf of the states we represent. Despite this,
and being listed as an issuer on their website, The CommonTrust Network
is still not recognizing MyIR as a valid issuer.

!!!!!!

We are continuing to work with the CommonTrust Network to resolve this
discrepancy as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, until we are
re-established, we will have to deactivate QR Code functionality as a
feature in MyIR Mobile.

They say this but it's on their webpage, the code and a button with
which to print it. Shouldn't they go back and mark this page
obsolete???

Through MyIR Mobile, users can still access a copy of their FULL
official vaccination records, including proof of COVID-19 vaccines. In
some states, an official COVID-19 certificate and/or school certificate
will also be available through MyIR Mobile. In order to utilize these
certificates, MyIR Mobile users will need to show them as either digital
PDFs or printed documents to prove immunization
status. At this time, immunization records through MyIR Mobile cannot be
translated into a valid QR code to be read by a SMART health verifier

Here'e a page from 2 days ago, also not in their FAQ, that says it does
work. But t he google algorith put the obosolete one first, because it
was short and its only topic was on-topic.
https://myirmobile.com/2021/01/29/myir-mobile-makes-it-easy-to-show-proof-of-covid-vaccinations/

Piet

Jan 22, 2022, 8:23:37 AM1/22/22
Ralph Fox wrote:
> Here in NZ, we would use the official NZ pass verifier app to scan
> my NZ vaccine pass QR code and prove I was vaccinated.

The same is done in European countries. Here I'll focus on
the situation in NL.

> * The verifier app will verify that the vaccine pass was provided
> by the correct authority and can extract some personal data
> from the QR code (enough to check the vaccine pass is for me
> and not for someone else).

Here you can obtain a printed version of the QR-code from the
official organization, which is useful in particular for the
elderly who don't have a smartphone. And that's a considerable
number of people: over 40% of the 75+ population.

> * Scanning my NZ vaccine pass QR code will *not* send you off to a
> website.

Not the one who is scanning your qr, but you may want to check
what happens in the background.

> Here, you would not have the opportunity to fake it with your
> own QR code pointing to your fake "micky is vaccinated" web
> page.

Sadly, qr-codes have become a target of criminals too (like
almost anything in life). Falsified qr-codes have been created
and distributed, employees of vaccination centres have stolen
qr-codes or have given people a qr-code while only faking to
give them a real vaccination.
This has led to large numbers of qr-codes being blocked, and
the scanner app regularly - at least at startup - to the site
of the official organization to download the latest blocklist,
to deny access to people with a false or stolen code.

So no, the scanner takes neither the one using it nor the one
being checked to a website, but the scanner takes itself to a
website. But what is a "website" here? Although it uses tcp
port 443, it's not a "real" website that you can visit, but
rather a dedicated piece of software working specifically and
only with the scanner app.

-p

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 9:11:21 AM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 14:23:32 +0100, Piet
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:

>,,,,
>So no, the scanner takes neither the one using it nor the one
>being checked to a website, but the scanner takes itself to a
>website. But what is a "website" here? Although it uses tcp
>port 443, it's not a "real" website that you can visit, but
>rather a dedicated piece of software working specifically and
>only with the scanner app.

If people don't understand computer stuff too well, this should really
confuse them. Although all this means there is nothing wrong with the
QR code I printed on paper (except maybe the organization it comes
from.) So that's good for me.

and I turned 75 a week ago and had a 40% desire to get rid of my
smartphone, but I controlled myself.

All very interesting. I'll have to smile a lot.

Andy Burns

Jan 22, 2022, 9:34:50 AM1/22/22
micky wrote:

> Through MyIR Mobile, users can still access a copy of their FULL
> official vaccination records, including proof of COVID-19 vaccines.

That sounds like an app which will allow you to display a QR code with your
vaccination status; I thought what you are seeking is the app used by door
staff to validate the QR code that you display?

VanguardLH

Jan 22, 2022, 10:24:16 AM1/22/22
micky wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>
>>> I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage, all it
>>> gave me was mamy, mamy rows of nothing but numbers.
>>>
>>> I think it was supposed to go the webpage with my vaccination
>>> record. But regardless, what does it mean if I only get numbers
>>
>> Not all scan codes are URLs. They're just data content of which it
>> could be strings, like a bunch of numbers. It could product
>> relative information, like the SKU number for a product. It could
>> be a tracking code for a product.
>
> Because I'm not interested in solving a particular problem. I just want
> to know how these things work in general.
>
>> Identify WHERE you found the scan code.
>
> If I knew it off hand, I still might have included it, but then I'd
> have to give you my password for my own medical records. I trust you
> but not the thousands of lurkers here. The QR code is onlyi for each
> person 7 or 8 states that use this service to report vaccinations
> (not just Corona. They say I'm 9 years late for my pneumonia shot and
> 55 years past due for my DTaP/DT/Td shot. But they have the Corona
> shots correct and that should be enough to make people happy.

Probably would be of no value to others what content was in the QR code,
but no one here really needs it. Its content (data) wasn't a URL which
what you expected, just data, so knowing for which app it was targeted
for use would be important in knowing what that app expected in the
content of the QR code.

If the QR code required login, it was be worthless to used to give to
anyone else. If it is Covid vaccination dates (but perhaps requiring
decoding by an app that knows the structure of the data), well, that's
wouldn't be private information if you're showing the QR code to, say, a
restaurant or school that demands you present evidence of your Covid
vaccinations.

> But I scanned it again and got nothing but numbers agai, but way down
> at the bottom was a button called Open.
>
> I taked that and got Sorry, the requested application coudl not be
> launced. The barcoade may be invalid.
>
> So I found the webpage, printed it again, it looks just like the
> first copy and like what's on the screen, and I scanned it again with
> a different phone and the scanner is the QR & Barcode Scanner by
> Gamma Play. The other phone is not here right now.

As someone else mentioned, it is probably account data that would get
fed into a Covid/med app hence the Open [app] button, but you don't have
the app installed. Maybe your health provider could give you a pointer
to the Covid app that understands the data in the QR code. That's why I
asked where you got the QR code: where you got it might indicate either
what is in the QR code, or how to use it.

There are so many Covid apps that you need to see if wherever you got
the QR code tells you which app to use. Looks like every state has
their own Covid app. Some might be sharing the same app, but I've heard
there are state-specific apps (which could be tweaked versions). You
might try searching on "<yourstate> Covid app" to see if any hits are
for your state's Covid app.

Ken Blake

Jan 22, 2022, 11:15:17 AM1/22/22
On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:20:53 +0000, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:

>> ...or use Scotch Tape (and lots of others whose names don't come to
>> mind).
>
>Same applies (re: USA), it's Sellotape over here! :-)

Yes, I know.

Ken Blake

Jan 22, 2022, 11:17:58 AM1/22/22
On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 16:52:06 -0800, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:
I won't go to an Applebee's but if I did, one thing I would *not*
order would be a hamburger. They probably have no choice but
well-done, and I hate hamburgers unless they are very rare.

Ken Blake

Jan 22, 2022, 11:25:49 AM1/22/22
On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:19:58 +0000, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:

>Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >Most restaurants in my ares will provide a physical menu, on request,
>> >when they normally only have digital menus.
>> >
>> >Please use "photocopied" instead of "xeroxed."
>>
>> You probably also don't want me to wipe my nose with Kleenex or play
>> ping pong.
>
>Careful, you're being very USA-centred (notice the spelling!),

No, I can't be USA-centred; I can only be USA-centered.

I'm aware that not everyone here is from the USA, and that not
everyone from other countries spells things the same way I do, but
most of us here are from the USA, and that's why I use USA names and
spellings here.

> while
>we do call table tennis 'ping pong' sometimes we would only use
>'Kleenex' if we mean that actual brand, it's a tissue otherwise.

I sometimes call it a "tissue" too.

By the way, at least here in the USA, it's a rare person who knows
that "ping-pong" is a trademarked name and the real name of the game
is "table tennis." Although I don't, almost everyone calls it
"ping-pong."

Ken Blake

Jan 22, 2022, 11:34:36 AM1/22/22
On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 05:25:06 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:
The one time I ate in an Olive Garden was about 30 years ago, when my
wife and I were investigating places to retire to. We were in Ft
Myers, Florida and I asked the realtor who was showing us around to
recommend an Italian restaurant for dinner. He recommended Olive
Garden. We hated it and didn't retire there. I'm not sure how much the
Olive Garden influenced our decision, but if that was the best Ft.
Myers had to offer...

Frank Slootweg

Jan 22, 2022, 3:24:54 PM1/22/22
R.Wieser <add...@not.available> wrote:
> micky,
>
> > But regardless, what does it mean if I only get numbers
>
> In my country that QR code is nothing more than something comparable to an
> SSL certificate. From it you can extract some personal data (enough to
> verify the person), and *if need be* verify that the certificate was
> provided by the correct authority.
>
> >I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage,
>
> That is exactly what its *NOT* supposed to do. /Any suggestion/ that
> scanning such a QR code (person X was at location Y, time Z) could be
> tatteled off to some mothership would instantly cause a ruckus (tracking
> related), diminishing its intended use.

Exactly. Besides the possible lablocklist-download at startup of the
QR-check app which Piet mentioned, there is *no* network connection,
because of the privacy issue you mention. Nearly no-one would accept the
use of QR-checking if they could be tracked or their personal details
revealed/recorded.

Frank Slootweg

Jan 22, 2022, 3:42:15 PM1/22/22
micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 14:23:32 +0100, Piet
> <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:
>
> >,,,,
> >So no, the scanner takes neither the one using it nor the one
> >being checked to a website, but the scanner takes itself to a
> >website. But what is a "website" here? Although it uses tcp
> >port 443, it's not a "real" website that you can visit, but
> >rather a dedicated piece of software working specifically and
> >only with the scanner app.
>
> If people don't understand computer stuff too well, this should really
> confuse them.

It's really not all that difficult. Anyone who has ever used a
scannable (paper) ticket to be allowed entry, transportation, etc., can
just use the printed QR-code to allow *Corona/COVID safe* entry, for
example in a restaurant, board an airplane, etc..

The smartphone-based QR-code is just an alternative for the printed
one, just like you have smartphone-based boarding passes, transportation
ticket, cinema tickets, etc..

So you don't *need* a smartphone, but you *can* use a smartphone. Here
- in The Netherlands - you don't even need (access to) a computer, but
having a computer/tablet/smartphone makes things simpler (for people who
know how to use them! :-)).

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 4:45:29 PM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 09:15:14 -0700, Ken Blake
If you guys called it Scotch tape, you'd have another war on your hand.

Especially with the imitation-Tartan plaid advertising and packaging,
the cardboard behind the tape, and the basis on which it was called
Scotch.

Do you all UK'ers know about this? From wiki, "The use of the term
Scotch in the name was a pejorative meaning "parsimonious" in the 1920s
and 1930s. The brand name Scotch came about around 1925 while Richard
Drew was testing his first masking tape to determine how much adhesive
he needed to add. The bodyshop painter became frustrated with the sample
masking tape and exclaimed, "Take this tape back to those Scotch bosses
of yours and tell them to put more adhesive on it!"[7][8] The name was
soon applied to the entire line of 3M tapes.

Scotty McTape, a kilt-wearing cartoon boy, was the brand's mascot for
two decades, first appearing in 1944.[9] The familiar tartan design, a
take on the well-known Wallace tartan, was introduced in 1945.[9] "

In fact it's just a matter of time before Scottish Americans organize a
boycott and demonstrations against it . <grin>

Andy Burnelli

Jan 22, 2022, 5:15:47 PM1/22/22
On 22 Jan 2022 20:24:52 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Exactly. Besides the possible lablocklist-download at startup of the
> QR-check app which Piet mentioned, there is *no* network connection,
> because of the privacy issue you mention. Nearly no-one would accept the
> use of QR-checking if they could be tracked or their personal details
> revealed/recorded.

Given the topic morphed to privacy, I try to keep my Android device private.

I do that by installing only the most private apps that are possible to get.
So I'm pretty sure mine are all free, ad free, gsf free & google free apps.

However I know little to nothing about QR code scanning privacy dos & donts.

But I love to learn new things, so, for the OP, I looked to see what I had.
<https://i.postimg.cc/x1R8tMGh/qr01.jpg>

I have two QR apps, one called "QR Scanner" & the other "QR Code Reader."
QR Code Reader <krow.dev.qrcode>
QR Scanner <com.secuso.privacyFriendlyCodeScanner>

To always be purposefully helpful, I can test out what those two apps
individually do for the OP if necessary, where this is the link to each:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.secuso.privacyFriendlyCodeScanner>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=krow.dev.qrcode>

If those two APKs aren't in the list of the best most private qr scanners
I'd be surprised (but I'd be quite willing to test them given a good test).

Can someone suggest a decent test (maybe with a QR code already available)?

NY

Jan 22, 2022, 5:26:59 PM1/22/22
"micky" <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote in message
> Do you all UK'ers know about this?

I'm in the UK and I didn't know it.

> From wiki, "The use of the term
> Scotch in the name was a pejorative meaning "parsimonious" in the 1920s
> and 1930s. The brand name Scotch came about around 1925 while Richard
> Drew was testing his first masking tape to determine how much adhesive
> he needed to add. The bodyshop painter became frustrated with the sample
> masking tape and exclaimed, "Take this tape back to those Scotch bosses
> of yours and tell them to put more adhesive on it!"[7][8] The name was
> soon applied to the entire line of 3M tapes.
>
> Scotty McTape, a kilt-wearing cartoon boy, was the brand's mascot for
> two decades, first appearing in 1944.[9] The familiar tartan design, a
> take on the well-known Wallace tartan, was introduced in 1945.[9] "
>

> In fact it's just a matter of time before Scottish Americans organize a
> boycott and demonstrations against it . <grin>

I imagine Scots would be undecided as to which thing to protest more loudly
about: that their alleged parsimony was being ridiculed, or that the
adjective "Scotch" rather than "Scottish" was being used to describe them.
Scotch whisky (and never "whiskey") and scotch pancakes are about the only
things where the adjective "Scotch" is used rather than "Scottish".

By the way, I'm from Yorkshire, and we are alleged to be even more
parsimonious ("tight", "near", "stingy") with money than a Scot ;-) It's all
a myth: a Yorkshireman can be very generous but he needs to be convinced
that he isn't paying over the odds - the "*How* much?" test ;-)

Oh, and in Australia, Scotch tape or Sellotape is sold under the brand name
Durex, which is the brand name of something *very* different over here ;-)

Mayayana

Jan 22, 2022, 5:40:17 PM1/22/22
"Ken Blake" <K...@invalid.news.com> wrote

The one time I ate in an Olive Garden was about 30 years ago, when my
wife and I were investigating places to retire to. We were in Ft
Myers, Florida and I asked the realtor who was showing us around to
recommend an Italian restaurant for dinner. He recommended Olive
Garden. We hated it and didn't retire there. I'm not sure how much the
Olive Garden influenced our decision, but if that was the best Ft.
Myers had to offer...

Florida is a godless, tasteless place. Yet the best Chinese
food I ever ate came from a place in a strip mall in Ft. Lauderdale.
So I guess you never know. Normally I don't touch Chinese. I love
it, but nearly all of them are greasy spoon Chinese.

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 6:09:24 PM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:12:06 +0000, Andy Burns
Yes, wha tyou thought was right, but this is better than nothing. At t
he start NYState and a 3 or 4 others wrote their own systems, to which
they added QR stuff that does everything. After months or more MyIR got
started and attracted a few states but afaik a lot of US states still
have very little. Seems to me we could all just paid NYS to "join" in,
or just to use their code, and still have kept the systems totally
separate, to please all those states rights fanatics that have grown
more vocal lately. I was a computer programmer for a long time and this
would be easy. (Of course it wouldn't make as many jobs for people like
me.)

There had been and may be still is a lot of uproar from tourists wanting
a way to show to airlines and tourist immigration (customs?) and maybe
sports stadiums and bars their vaccination status.

So you're right, but despite Chris's or Ken's suggestion, I can't just
set up my own system so this is better than nothing. If they see it on
any phone or computer screen they may be happy. They might even let me
in.

Andy Burnelli

Jan 22, 2022, 8:07:19 PM1/22/22
On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 21:43:22 +1300, Ralph Fox wrote:

> Try scanning the QR code below and see...
>
> QR code at: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_qr-code-for-micky--ncdkugdt.png>

Regarding this test QR code created by Ralph Fox today:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_qr-code-for-micky--ncdkugdt.png>

I ran a test on that QR code for this thread which tested QR scanners:
*Test for privacy of the best QR scanners on the planet*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/nXjntsq5_0s>

Here is the result of that test QR scan, with Internet completely off.
<https://i.postimg.cc/x1R8tMGh/qr01.jpg> Best privacy QR Code Scanners
<https://i.postimg.cc/26XcZCky/qr02.jpg> Sample known QR code result
<https://i.postimg.cc/XqG2Ktq8/qr03.jpg> Same QR code - different results
<https://i.postimg.cc/MTG3Hn8g/qr04.jpg> Option to send mail or add contact

Notice two completely different results out of that same one QR code.

micky

Jan 22, 2022, 8:41:09 PM1/22/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 09:25:46 -0700, Ken Blake
<K...@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>I sometimes call it a "tissue" too.

I wonder which came first, tissue or archue? Is achue used anywhere to
represent the sound of sneezing? It sounds like that to me.

>By the way, at least here in the USA, it's a rare person who knows
>that "ping-pong" is a trademarked name and the real name of the game
>is "table tennis." Although I don't, almost everyone calls it
>"ping-pong."

I knew it but had forgotten until you reminded me yesterday. But I'm
the kind who reads whole articles about genericized trademarks, and
tries to memorize the lists in them, so I can be charming at parties. Or
perhaps boring is more likely.

Table tennis, which I think I didn't here of until 10 years after ping
pong, sounds like a bit of an exaggeration, like people should be
running around on the table.

micky

Jan 23, 2022, 4:09:23 AM1/23/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 09:17:56 -0700, Ken Blake
I like rare too. At home I was so afraid it would be too well done I'd
take it off early, and once I was sitting down, I woudln't want to get
back up, so I gradually started eating it rarer and cooler until I skip
the stove altogether some times and eat it raw.

Although raw ground beef is okay, and quick to prepare lol, it's nowhere
near as good as raw sirloin, not cut up. It seems like a waste to grind
sirloin.

Chris

Jan 23, 2022, 4:51:44 AM1/23/22
R.Wieser <add...@not.available> wrote:
> micky,
>
>> But regardless, what does it mean if I only get numbers
>
> In my country that QR code is nothing more than something comparable to an
> SSL certificate. From it you can extract some personal data (enough to
> verify the person), and *if need be* verify that the certificate was
> provided by the correct authority.
>
>> I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage,
>
> That is exactly what its *NOT* supposed to do. /Any suggestion/ that
> scanning such a QR code (person X was at location Y, time Z) could be
> tatteled off to some mothership would instantly cause a ruckus (tracking
> related), diminishing its intended use.

No it wouldn't as that's the whole point of Track and Trace. We've been
asked for the last 18 months to register our presence at pubs and
restaurants etc. That's all been done via QR codes.

Monitoring who's where and at what time is important during the pandemic.

R.Wieser

Jan 23, 2022, 7:13:02 AM1/23/22
Chris,

> No it wouldn't as that's the whole point of Track and Trace.

I think you missed the "in my country" part. We do(or did?) have a
track-and-trace program (which you had to opt-in to!), but our current QR
code system is (fully on purpose) no part of it.

For some reason our gouverment understood that we definitily do not like to
be followed everywhere we go and as such would likely sabotage any kind of
attempt to force it upon us.

On the other hand we do seem to be relistic enough to recognise that
allowing a sick person to mingle in groups (of people in close vincinity) is
just begging to get sick ourselves, and as such have accepted the "only if
you're healthy" rule - and the need for proof of it.

Our QR code system is just a "passport" (with a limited duration) to show
that we're vacinated and do not currently have Covid. Thats all.

> We've been asked for the last 18 months to register our presence at pubs
> and restaurants etc. That's all been done via QR codes.

Yeah, us too. For the above described reason. No valid QR code
("passport") ? No entry. Its as simple as that. No track-and-trace needed
for it.

> Monitoring who's where and at what time is important during the pandemic.

No, its not. It however does have the stench of a totalitarian regime (as
that kind of data *will* be abused - regardless of whatever promiss was made
in regard to it).

Besides that, "who was where when" only works for the moments you have that
QR code scanned. I don't think you realize how many people you encounter
(and interact with) between any two of those "checkpoints".

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Andy Burns

Jan 23, 2022, 7:20:03 AM1/23/22
Chris wrote:

> No it wouldn't as that's the whole point of Track and Trace. We've been
> asked for the last 18 months to register our presence at pubs and
> restaurants etc. That's all been done via QR codes.

But (in the UK) the covid pass is part of the "normal" NHS app, not part of the
NHS contact tracing app, you can have either one without the other, and you
could "sign-in" at pubs by pen and paper rather than QR codes.

Calum

Jan 23, 2022, 10:55:35 AM1/23/22
On 22/01/2022 22:26, NY wrote:

> Scotch whisky (and never "whiskey") and scotch pancakes are about
> the only things where the adjective "Scotch" is used rather than
> "Scottish".

And Scotch mist...

Andy Burns

Jan 23, 2022, 11:16:23 AM1/23/22
scotch egg, scotch corner, scotch bonnet ...

The Real Bev

Jan 23, 2022, 11:47:55 AM1/23/22
And Scotch tape...

--
Cheers,Bev
To define recursion, we must first define recursion.

Ken Blake

Jan 23, 2022, 12:13:11 PM1/23/22
On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 20:41:07 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 09:25:46 -0700, Ken Blake
><K...@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>

>>I sometimes call it a "tissue" too.
>
>I wonder which came first, tissue or archue? Is achue used anywhere to
>represent the sound of sneezing? It sounds like that to me.

I've never seen it spelled "archue" or "achue," but to me they're a
reasonably accurate description of the sound.

Andy Burnelli

Jan 23, 2022, 1:25:29 PM1/23/22
On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 07:07:27 -0500, micky wrote:

> No one else here is interested in this but me

I tested the URL and I showed each QR scan APK gives _different_ results.
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/nXjntsq5_0s/m/Yspabjb0EQAJ>

Andy Burnelli

Jan 23, 2022, 1:27:32 PM1/23/22
On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 04:14:02 -0500, micky wrote:

> Yeah, that's the sort of thing I meant, and that I expected.

What QR scanners are you testing?

I tested the URL and I showed each QR scan app can give _different_ results.
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/nXjntsq5_0s/m/Yspabjb0EQAJ>

Andy Burnelli

Jan 23, 2022, 1:28:53 PM1/23/22
On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 10:13:07 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

> I've never seen it spelled "archue" or "achue," but to me they're a
> reasonably accurate description of the sound.

Has this Ken Blake troll _ever_ added on-topic technical value to any thread?

Alan

Jan 23, 2022, 1:32:30 PM1/23/22
No.

What you showed is that different scanners presented the same
information they scanned in different ways.

Which is not the same thing.

Alan

Jan 23, 2022, 1:32:39 PM1/23/22
Wrong again.

Chris

Jan 23, 2022, 5:48:11 PM1/23/22
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/23/2022 07:55 AM, Calum wrote:
>> On 22/01/2022 22:26, NY wrote:
>>
>>> Scotch whisky (and never "whiskey") and scotch pancakes are about
>>> the only things where the adjective "Scotch" is used rather than
>>> "Scottish".
>>
>> And Scotch mist...
>
> And Scotch tape...

Go up thread, Bev. That's where the discussion started.

Scotch tape has nothing to do with Scotland and doesn't even exist there.

The Real Bev

Jan 23, 2022, 6:02:52 PM1/23/22
What about hopScotch?

Are you by any chance Chris Ilias from Mozilla? He was no fun either.

micky

Jan 23, 2022, 6:40:00 PM1/23/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 23 Jan 2022 08:47:54 -0800, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 01/23/2022 07:55 AM, Calum wrote:
>> On 22/01/2022 22:26, NY wrote:
>>
>>> Scotch whisky (and never "whiskey") and scotch pancakes are about
>>> the only things where the adjective "Scotch" is used rather than
>>> "Scottish".
>>
>> And Scotch mist...
>
>And Scotch tape...

This is where I came in.

micky

Jan 23, 2022, 11:09:40 PM1/23/22
In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 23 Jan 2022 18:27:31 -0000 (UTC), Andy
Burnelli <sp...@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 04:14:02 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that's the sort of thing I meant, and that I expected.
>
>What QR scanners are you testing?

The trouble is I had to buy a second phone and I'm not sure which phone
it was, and I apologize for not seeing this through to the end, but
traveling is so much more trouble and time-consuming now than before
Corona.

I spent hours last night trying to spend less than $175 for a PCR test.
There is a place nearby that will do it for free and probably get the
reults back in time, but only probably. The test has to be done, I read
on one testing place's website, within 72 hours of arrival. So I looked
at every testing site around here in that light.

Today I found out it's 72 hours before departure, so I have to try to
remember what I read last night or start over. IIRC, only the
expensive places say they'll have it in time, and one promises partial
and full refunds if they don't. Of course that won't get me on the
plane. One place, for $300, will give you PCR result in 2 hours.

Plus there was this question about how to let the airline or whoever it
is know my status. Apparently they will take a piece of paper I print
off my comuter, or even what they read on my phoner. I thought they'd
want a link straight to the clinics or state agencies that keep track
of my vaccinations and tests. Because I can probably edit the pdf file
they send and certainly the email they send. But from this thrad, it
looks like I'm right about the vaccination record. They'll be able to
get useful information out of what I just get SCM/ an dnumbers.

So I'm dropping out of the techniical part of this thread.

>I tested the URL and I showed each QR scan app can give _different_ results.
> <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/nXjntsq5_0s/m/Yspabjb0EQAJ>

Thanks. I looked at that, but I'm too sleepy to appreciate it. I'll
look again later.

BTW, it's interesting that my finger must have slipped many posts ago
and all but one charact er of the subject line went missing. I
restored it here, but much of the thread doesn't have it, and yet it all
threads together. Those guys who came up with this were pretty clever.

Chris

Jan 25, 2022, 3:04:42 AM1/25/22
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/23/2022 02:48 PM, Chris wrote:
>> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> And Scotch tape...
>>
>> Go up thread, Bev. That's where the discussion started.
>>
>> Scotch tape has nothing to do with Scotland and doesn't even exist there.
>
> What about hopScotch?
>
> Are you by any chance Chris Ilias from Mozilla? He was no fun either.

Nope. Not me

Frank Slootweg

Jan 25, 2022, 9:29:28 AM1/25/22
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/23/2022 02:48 PM, Chris wrote:
> > The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> And Scotch tape...
> >
> > Go up thread, Bev. That's where the discussion started.
> >
> > Scotch tape has nothing to do with Scotland and doesn't even exist there.
>
> What about hopScotch?
>
> Are you by any chance Chris Ilias from Mozilla? He was no fun either.

He can't be, because 'our' Chris *is* fun!

s|b

Jan 25, 2022, 4:03:31 PM1/25/22
On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:11:48 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> I don't know anything about American covid QR codes, but the UK ones don't
> direct you to a webpage. There is an official app for decoding them, which
> shows your name, DoB and the expiry time.

In Belgium we can use the CovidScanBE app.

<https://www.covidscan.be/en/>

If you scan the QR code with a "normal" QR scanner you'll get a bunch of
numbers and letters too.

--
s|b